Position Statement: Personnel Standards in Early Childhood Special Education
Division for Early Childhood, 2017
This position statement provides direction for individuals in a variety of professional roles related to ECSE personnel preparation including, but not limited to, preparation as faculty and staff at Institutes of Higher Education (IHEs); professional development (PD) and technical assistance providers at local, regional, state, and national levels; and state level certification/licensure and policy administrators for ECSE. Specifically, this position statement:
- explores the requirements and options for ECSE personnel preparation;
- offers an overview of a Theory of Change guiding ECSE personnel preparation;
- provides key concepts that guide the development of personnel preparation standards;
- discusses the relevance of the CEC Professional Standards (CEC, 2016), the DEC Initial and Advanced Specialty Sets (DEC, 2017), and the DEC Recommended Practices (2014) in the development and implementation of initial and advanced preparation and professional development curricula for ECSE educators; and
- culminates with DEC’s recommendations for the content and structure of ECSE personnel preparation and certification/licensure programs.
Stayton, V., Flynn-Wilson, L., Able, H., Danner, N., Dejong, L., Hill, C., … Winton, P. (2017). Position Statement: Personnel Standards in Early Childhood Special Education. Division for Early Childhood.
Stayton, Vicki, Linda Flynn-Wilson, Harriet Able, Natalie Danner, Lorraine Dejong, Cori Hill, Eva Horn, et al. Position Statement: Personnel Standards in Early Childhood Special Education. Division for Early Childhood, 2017.
Stayton, Vicki, et al. Position Statement: Personnel Standards in Early Childhood Special Education. Division for Early Childhood, 2017.